HS Librarian & Dept Head, Information Commons - HKIS
- Library changed name to "Information commons"
- Focus on digital tools on-line books and references
- Students need to take a class called "Information technology ad Media"
- Found that students not very skilled at research, especially with more traditional media
- http://ourdigitalfuture.pbworks.com wiki used for course
- Students reviewed communication technologies from the past as background. Students created pages researching the different communication technologies
- Students were tasked to make a teaching video on research skills, content open.
- 7 teams of students had mixed success
- Students realised there own research skills shortfalls were not up to scratch when researching th eresearch skills video. Wasted time on process.
- Coming out of that, all freshmen now have to attend seminars on research skills. Now front end loaded with explicit instruction of research and technical skills, followed by video production.
- Before, the take up of these skills was hit-and-miss depending on what teachers the students had had.
- http://www.amazon.com/Still-Cheating-Dont-Get-Caught/dp/159643306X book regarding ethics, good for teaching about plagiarism.
Not revolutionary, evolutionary, but if it gets the students creating then it is a good thing in my book