The Presenters: Barry Lawrensen, Rachel Dewey - Teacher ITGS and Design Technology - Gyeonggi Suwon International School, Suwon, South Korea
Technology in multiple forms is ubiquitous to our modern lives. Is it possible to develop critical thinking skills when concentration is on the technology?
- Some teachers prefer to check the laptops and smartphones at the door, while others are embracing the technology with 1:1 laptop programs and required participation in blogs and social networking.
- The presenters met online a year ago just met face to face yesterday!!
- 187% mobile phone connectivity in HK these students cant remember a time without technology....if schools spending $ on technology we need equal amount on training teachers as to how to use it.
- Behaviour rules are same as for other classrooms and the school eg respect don’t have a list of rules eg you cant do this and that
- It is important to talk about ..ethical use of technologyeg how to get around firewalls etc. use and show them a behaviour code for business and talk about consequences- eg if you are at work you can get sacked for unethical behaviour
- Use students to teach the class....use twitter to chat in class no talking...use a wireless keyboards so can use them in the classroom
- use msn...students can use mobile under the desk and send teachers the answers to questions quickly
- they share ideas on google documents using their laptops
- tell students they have 20 mins to present the information to teacher - how you do it is your choice- be creative